Friday, June 24, 2011

X360 - Wireless Xbox 360 arcade stick


This was actually completed about 2 years ago, but I finally decided to start a blog showcasing and describing my projects.

The idea for this stick came about after purchasing a MadCatz Street Fighter 4 SE stick. I was not satisfied with the stock knockoff joystick and buttons, so I decided to upgrade them to official Sanwa parts. I then ended up with the original parts as extras after Sanwa parts were used in place.

Around the same time, I had a Xbox 360 that decided to Red Ring on me, which deemed it unusable since it was out of warranty and after attempting to repair myself. I then thought how cool it would be to have a joystick using the Xbox case since I basically had all of the necessary except for a way of connecting to Xbox, so I decided to take apart a  Xbox controller as it would also allow for using it wireless.

I did not have a diagram at time of doing this mod(it was all trial and error). I did find one recently if anyone needs it as a reference(xbox s diagram). The site provided also has many other controller diagrams covered if you were to work on a joystick for another console.


I basically just wired up each button of the controller as shown (this was a pain as the connections for the soldering points were tiny) and hooked directly to corresponding button on the joystick. As far as the joystick casing goes, I used the entire shell including the metal casing that the motherboard was mounted to. This was to add some weight to the joystick as it was a little light for my taste without it.

After all of the main wiring was complete. I wanted to make use of the power button and lights on the front of the Xbox case. My original plan was to hook up the 4 lights on the power button to the corresponding 4 on the controller, but this didn't work since the cover that goes on top did not allow for too much space. Now that I think of it, I could have just dremeled it(maybe on V.2). I then just wrapped it up by wiring a button for both START and sync(since it was wireless, otherwise I couldn't use on any other xbox) that could be pressed in the hole that was originally for the power supply.

This basically sums up all of the work that went into the mod. Feel free to send me any questions that you may have if you want to attempt this same mod, since I'm pretty sure almost everyone has had a RROD Xbox 360. Don't forget to check out the video and subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment